Antioxidants Bozeman MT
Community Food Co-op
908 W Main Street
Montana Harvest Natural Foods
31 S Willson Ave
Oak Street Natural Market
1735 Oak St Ste F
Heart & Soul Herbs
18 S Willson Ave
Limelight Enterprises Inc
335 Silvertip Trl
Bozeman Deaconess Outpatient Serv
Cambridge Counseling Diet Plan
512 W Main St
Nights Delight Beds & Furniture
512 W Main St
1208 N 8th Ave
| Written by Jeff Behar, MS, MBA |
An antioxidant is a molecule capable of slowing or preventing the oxidation of other molecules. Oxidation reactions can produce free radicals, which start chain reactions that damage cells.
Antioxidants play a key role in fighting free radicals, a form of oxidation that weakens cells and wears down cell's natural defenses. Antioxidants act as "free radical scavengers", preventing and repairing damage caused by free radicals. Research suggests that free radicals cause a number of health conditions and degenerative diseases associated with aging, such as:
- Age related macular degeneration (AMD)
- Alzheimer's disease
- Cardiovascular disease
- Cognitive impairment/dementia
Studies indicate that antioxidants may also enhance immune defense and therefore lower the risk of cancer and infections.
Antioxidants are substances or nutrients found in our foods which can prevent or slow the oxidative damage to our bodies. Examples include:
- Vitamin A and Carotenoids
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10)
- Flavonoids / polyphenols
Antioxidants in Foods
- Vitamin A and Carotenoids. Apricots (bright-colored fruits and vegetables) broccoli, cantaloupe, carrrots, collards, kale, peaches, sweet potatoes, squash, tomotoes, etc.
- Vitamin C. Citrus fruits like oranges, lemons and lime etc, broccoli, green leafy vegetables,green pepers, strawberries and tomatoes
- Vitamin E. Nuts, seeds, whole grains, green leafy vegetables, vegetable oil and liver oils..
- Selenium. Fish, shellfish, chicken, grains, eggs, red meat, and garlic.
- Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), Meats, fish, vegetable oils, wheat germ, rice bran, soy, spinach and broccoli. soybean, sesame, and rapeseed oils.
- Glutathione. Fres...
Click here to read the rest of this article from MuscleMagFitness.com