Dietary Supplements Lahaina HI
Lahaina Cannery Mall
Shaklee Authorized Distributor
1640 Kuuipo St
Fekete Catherine Rd Cde
Queen Ka'ahumanu Center
General Nutrition Center Inc
Queen Kaahumanu Ctr Unit Unit
General Nutrition Center
1221 Honoapiilani Hwy
1555 Kapiolani Blvd Building 1509
Alive & Well Natural Health
340 Hana Hwy
Herbalife Independent Distributor
Dietary Supplements Defined
| Written by Jeff behar, MS, MBA |
A dietary supplement is a preparation intended to supply nutrients, (such as vitamins, minerals, fatty acids or amino acids) that are missing or not consumed in sufficient quantity in a person's diet. Some countries define dietary supplements as foods, whilst in others they are defined as drugs. In the United States, a dietary supplement is defined under the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA) as a product that is intended to supplement the diet and contains any of the following dietary ingredients:
A dietary supplement in the US must be:
- a vitamin
- a mineral
- an herb or other botanical (excluding tobacco) and hormones, such as DHEA, pregnenolone (both steroids) and melatonin.
- an amino acid
- a dietary substance for use by people to supplement the diet by increasing the total dietary intake, or
- a concentrate, metabolite, constituent, extract, or combination of any of the above
- intended for ingestion in pill, capsule, tablet, powder or liquid form
- not represented for use as a conventional food or as the sole item of a meal or diet
- labeled as a "dietary supplement"
Pursuant to the DSHEA, the Food and Drug Administration regulates dietary supplements as foods, and not as drugs.
Unlike pharmaceutical companies, supplement manufacturers are not required to prove the safety or effectiveness of their products; the FDA can take action ...
Click here to read the rest of this article from MuscleMagFitness.com