Vitamin D Supplements Brookings SD
Shaklee Products Distributor
203 7th St W
22217 468th Ave
Balo Enterprises Inc Schaeffer Oil
20612 480th Ave
General Nutrition Center
3315 6th Ave SE
1914 S Minnesota Ave
Sioux Falls, SD
Health Foods Nature's Paradise
1455 6th St
Balo Enterprises Inc Tahitian Noni J
20612 480th Ave
Wayne & Mary's Nutrition Cente
3700 S Kiwanis Ave
Sioux Falls, SD
Nutrition Dietician Inc
1161 Deadwood Ave N
Rapid City, SD
Avera St Luke's Hospital
Vitamin D the Key to Good Health
| Written by Lynn Glenn |
Vitamin D is recognized to play a major roll in contributing to overall health . Vitamin D was once linked only to bone diseases . Today however, Vitamin D has shown to contribute to good health in the adaptive and innate immune systems , the secretion and regulation of insulin by the pancreas , the heart and blood pressure regulation, muscle strength and brain activity . In addition, Vitamin D is believed to be beneficial towards reducing the risk of cancer and has been shown to prevent many other diseases and conditions .
Vitamin D deficiency is associated with muscle strength decrease, high risk for falls, and increased risk fo colorerctal cancer , colon cancer , prostate cancer , breast cancer and many other major cancers. In addition, Vitamin D deficiency can impact 36 organ tissues in the body whose cells respond biologically to Vitamin D. The list includes bone marrow, breast, colon, intestine, kidney, lung, prostate, retina, skin, stomach and the uterus.
- Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin. Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin that is naturally present in very few foods. Vitamin D is added to some foods and also available as a dietary supplement.
- Vitamin D is the only vitamin that the body can manufacture itself. Vitamin D is the only vitamin that the body can manufacture itself. The only requirement is sunshine, specifically ultraviolet B rays. Vitamin D is absorbed by the sun's ultraviolet rays and triggers Vitamin D synthesis. About 10 to 15 minutes of exposure two to three times a week during nonpeak sun hours is considered adequate.
- Vitamin D supplements. Vitamin D supplements are often taken because of limited food choices. The current daily recommended dose of Vitamin D for adults 50 and older is 400 to 600 international units (IU). But many researchers believe that a higher amount is warranted because of the many health benefits . The National Osteoporosis Foundation recommends a daily intake of 800 to 1,000 IU per day for adults over age 50.
- Vitamin D is prohormone. Vitamin D is considered a prohormone because Vitamin D has no hormone activity itself, but is converted to the active hormone 1,25-D through a tightly regulated synthesis mechanism.
Vitamin D and the Role Vitamin D Plays in Human Health
- Vitamin D regulates the calcium and phosphorus levels. Vitamin D regulates the calcium and phosphorus levels in the blood by promoting their absorption from food in the intestines, and by promoting re-absorption of calcium in the kidneys.
- Vitamin D is needed for bone growth. Vitamin D is also needed for bone growth and bone remodeling by osteoblasts and osteoclasts. Without sufficient Vitamin D, bones can become thin, brittle, or misshapen. However, at very high levels it will promote the resorption ...
Click here to read the rest of this article from MuscleMagFitness.com